Most of you have seen an electrician work either at home or in your office or even on the streets. However, it still lingers in the minds of many of you about the exact work of an electrician. Well, the obvious answer to this question is that they work with electrical appliance, devices, and gadgets and with electricity. They set up things to ensure that homes and other types of buildings get proper power in order to use the various electrical devices. However, this does not give a clear picture about the actual job of an electrician.
Basically, it can be said that a local electrician installs the wirings that brings power into a structure or building and they are also paid to maintain the installed wiring or Data cable installation. Professional electricians work in accordance with various safety rules and regulations in order to make sure that buildings get proper power to operate various electrical devices in a safe manner.
Types of Electricians
Talking about electricians, there are basically 4 primary types of electricians that you will come across. Although there are several specialties, these 4 are the main types.
- Residential Wiremen: These electricians basically install and also maintain all the electrical wires that go inside different homes.
- Inside Wiremen: These professional electricians place and also maintain all the electrical wires that enter larger buildings such as offices, factories, municipal buildings, airports, arenas, colleges, and schools.
- Outside Linemen: They basically set up the cables that travel from power plants to various homes and buildings. You must have seen such electricians standing high up on telephone poles and laying think long cables on the sides of the roads.
- Telecommunications Electricians: They basically lay the cables that are important for all types of communications that includes computer, telephone, and local area network wiring often using a local Telecoms Procurement company.
The Job Responsibilities of an Electrician
Discussed below is a list of different types of tasks that are handled by an electrician and the type of electrician who handles them.
- Reading blueprints in order to learn where different outlets, circuits, panel boards, and various other electrical components are the placed or found – all types of electricians.
- Planning the installation and layout of wiring throughout a series of buildings or a single building – all types of electricians.
- Installing different electrical machines in factories – inside wiremen.
- Putting up fiber optic cable for telecommunications equipment in different commercial structures – telecommunications electricians.
- Installing different systems that will enable intercoms, telephones, security alarms, computers, and fire alarms to function properly – telecommunications electricians.
- Maintaining, adding, and also replacing circuit breakers, wires, and fuses – all types of electricians.
- Tracing the different flows of energy to transformers and circuit breakers – all types of electricians.
- Double checking the type of work done in a building by other electricians and ensuring that these meet the safety standards mentioned in the National Electrical Code – all types of electricians.
- Locating and replacing aged or faulty wiring that could pose a serious safety hazard – all types of electricians.
- Teaching and also appraising electrician apprentices – all types of electricians.