While some of us have been lucky to not have been affected physically or emotionally by this virus, there is a lot that has not been so lucky and has lost someone to the virus. The pain of loss can feel overwhelming. How do we get closure if we cannot say goodbye to our loved ones?
Closure is a sense of finality, letting go of what once was. To find closure implies accepting what has happened and honouring the transition away from what’s finished to find different possibilities. Before we can get closure, we need to experience grief. Grief is the way in which our bodies and minds respond to the loss of someone important. It is a journey that affects everyone differently; everyone has a different response to grief. Deaths caused by Covid-19 are completely unexpected leaving you with the feeling of unfinished business.
Here are 10 tips to help you grieve and get the closure you need
- Allow yourself to grieve. Your pain will not go away if you ignore it. Grief can trigger many different and unexpected emotions, allow yourself to feel those emotions.
- Take your time to grieve the loss. Do not let anyone rush your time of grief.
- The grieving process can take a toll on you; do not forget to look after yourself.
- Understand the difference between grief and depression.
- Talk to people who knew the person. Sometimes the answers we need are in other people’s stories of our lost one.
- Allow yourself to bid them farewell in your own way if you cannot attend a service. This is as simple as writing a letter to them or burning a candle.
- Do something in honour of their memory. This is a hard one, so take your time.
- Do not be afraid to ask for help; whether it is a friend or a family member if you cannot get professional help.
- Surround yourself with supportive people.
- Understand, that many people feel uncomfortable when trying to comfort someone who is grieving. They may end up saying or doing the wrong things. Try to remember that they are trying their best because they care.
There is no handbook on how to deal with loss. When it comes down to it everyone deals with loss differently, but we all seek closure and deal with grief. Understand that everyone is different, the process is personal, and you will come to terms with it at your own pace. There are many other ways to seek the answers and acceptance to move on so that you still find joy in things like ZAR promo apps and other fun activities.
Finding closure allows us to move into our future. Even if it did not work out the way you thought things would. Hopefully, you will have found the closure you needed, and learned something valuable from all the significant people in your life along the way.