Mobile applications for hydraulics increased in versatility due to the availability of compact power units or hydraulic power packs. Many applications that use hydraulics such as tippers, electric lifts, sanitation trucks, scissor lifts, and car lifts use a power pack to power the hydraulic function of the machine. Apart from the compact size, these power packs are simple to use and affordable.
Types of hydraulic power units
Mini Power Pack options for hydraulics are categorised as:
- A single-acting hydraulic power unit
- A double-acting hydraulic power unit
- Complex unit with additional special effects
Power packs are also distinguished as either AC or DC units with vertical or horizontal tank installation. The hydraulic valves also come as either manually or electrically operated.
Components of a hydraulic power unit
A mini power unit of hydraulic operation is a complete mechanism composed of various parts. Each unit has main elements that control the device functions, provide a power source and other auxiliary components.
- Motor. The unit’s engine is responsible for converting electricity to mechanical energy. The engine generates a hydraulic torque which defines the primary function of the unit as the main power source. The unit’s motor is either AC or DC operated.
- Hydraulic pump. The hydraulic pump component of the unit produces hydraulic pressure from mechanical energy. The motor drives the pump to provide the necessary force and flow required by the actuator. The various types of hydraulic pump include a gear pump, piston pump, and vane pump.
- Pressure control valve. A pressure-relay type of hydraulic power pack has a relief valve, a sequence valve, and a pressure relief valve. Depending on the application, these valves operate with a particular action sequence.
- Directional control valve. Similar to pressure control valves, compact hydraulic power units are typically comprised of various types of directional control valves. These are shuttle valves, solenoid valves, check valves, hydraulic control valves, and many others. In proportion to other components of a power pack, directional control valves are the largest.
- Flow control valve. This component’s purpose is to control movement speed by switching the flow area and control flow.
The specifications of hydraulic power pack components are typically matched according to the requirements of the application.
What are the benefits of using a hydraulic power pack?
The primary purpose of using a hydraulic power pack is to achieve hydraulic power in locations or for use in specific applications where there is no power source, limited electricity source, or if a portable hydraulic pack is the only safe option.
These hydraulic power packs are compact and run using petrol or diesel, and each power pack comes with fixed maximum torque and speed. Customised fittings allow for modifying the flow and pressure needed for the application.
Companies that design and manufacture hydraulic power packs can custom-build a hydraulic power pack suited for the intended use. Most companies that make these hydraulic packs also include additional services such as installation and servicing when the client is within their reach. It is advantageous to select a hydraulic power pack manufacturing company that provides after-sales service for convenience and efficiency.
If you want to learn more about our blog, please click here.