Wed, April 16, 2014

What I Thought Was True book cover

What I Thought Was True
By Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publication date: April 15, 2014
Dial Books for Young Readers, 416 pages
Source: Publisher

From the author of My Life Next Door comes a swoony summertime romance full of expectation and regret, humor and hard questions.

Gwen Castle’s Biggest Mistake Ever, Cassidy Somers, is slumming it as a yard boy on her Nantucket-esque island this summer. He’s a rich kid from across the bridge in Stony Bay, and she hails from a family of fishermen and housecleaners who keep the island’s summer people happy. Gwen worries a life of cleaning houses will be her fate too, but just when it looks like she’ll never escape her past—or the island—Gwen’s dad gives her some shocking advice. Sparks fly and secret histories unspool as Gwen spends a gorgeous, restless summer struggling to resolve what she thought was true—about the place she lives, the people she loves, and even herself—with what really is.

A magnetic, push-me-pull-me romance with depth, this is for fans of Sarah Dessen, Jenny Han, and Deb Caletti.

— Goodreads.com description

Looooooved it. In fact: I liked it better than My Life Next Door and I think you will, too.

Huntley Fitzpatrick’s newest book has a million good things going for it: summer, romance, a kick-butt old lady and a Portuguese grandpa, complex family issues, misunderstandings, lies, friendship, class problems, a genuinely GOOD guy, a sweet little brother, humor…I could go on.

The story was equal parts light & summery and serious & layered. I loved the complexity and depth to the relationships depicted, from romance to family to friendship. They were all so incredibly engaging and well-depicted.

The setting too — wow. I could practically smell the salt in the air as I read.

Definitely a great book to kick off your summer reading. I see this one making its way to a lot of people’s favorites lists in the coming year (including mine)!

Posted by: Anna   •   In: family, friendship, huntley fitzpatrick, romance, summer

1. S.Huston said:

I loved My Life Next Door so I’m pretty excited to see that you thought this one is even better! Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Anna Reply:

Hope you get to it soon — a great way to kick off summer reading!

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

2. Annette said:

Wow. I LOVED my life next door (and I’m not a super contemp fan) so you’ve SOLD me on this one. Thanks!

Anna Reply:

Hoorah! I have done my job! Hope you’re having a great day, Annette!

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

3. Alexa S. said:

This is TOTALLY going to be one of my reads as soon as the book is in my hands! I adored My Life Next Door. The incredible things I’ve been hearing about this one though, they have me raring to read it!

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

4. D. @ The Nerdy Journalist said:

I’m so jealous of everyone who has already read What I Thought Was True.I haven’t had time to buy a copy yet 🙁
    My Life Next Door was just amazing so I can’t even imagine how great this one will be.

Anna Reply:

Even BETTER! That’s how great!

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

5. Pam@YAEscapefromReality said:

Yay, so glad you loved this one. I really enjoyed My Life Next Door so I’m definitely looking forward to this one.

Anna Reply:

I read it when I was in *just* the right mood for a book like this, too. If you do read it, report back — curious what you think!

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

6. Anna said:

Your review of this book makes me even more excited to read it. I loved Fitzpatrick’s first book, and am eagerly awaiting this one!

Anna Reply:

YAY! Report back when you finish it! 🙂

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

7. We Heart YA said:

Oh yay! We enjoyed MY LIFE NEXT DOOR (although we had some concerns about the ending) so we’re glad to hear that this one is even better! Definitely will be snagging it soon. 🙂

Anna Reply:

Oooh I had the same thoughts on the ending, but this one? No problems at all! Definitely a great summer read.

Posted on: Wed, April 16, 2014

8. elena said:

I could practically smell the salt in the air as I read.

love this line, Anna! your review is spot on.

Anna Reply: