Thu, April 10, 2014

Open Road Summer book cover

Open Road Summer
By Emery Lord
Publication date: April 15, 2014
Walker, 342 pages
Source: Publisher

After breaking up with her bad-news boyfriend, Reagan O’Neill is ready to leave her rebellious ways behind. . . and her best friend, country superstar Lilah Montgomery, is nursing a broken heart of her own. Fortunately, Lilah’s 24-city tour is about to kick off, offering a perfect opportunity for a girls-only summer of break-up ballads and healing hearts. But when Matt Finch joins the tour as its opening act, his boy-next-door charm proves difficult for Reagan to resist, despite her vow to live a drama-free existence. This summer, Reagan and Lilah will navigate the ups and downs of fame and friendship as they come to see that giving your heart to the right person is always a risk worth taking. A fresh new voice in contemporary romance, Emery Lord’s gorgeous writing hits all the right notes.

“A fabulously entertaining story of friendship, healing, and love. Filled with laughter, heart, and a side of sass, this rock star debut will have you cheering for an encore!”—Elizabeth Eulberg, author of Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality

— Goodreads.com description

Fantastic!

I mean, really, there’s no better way to sum up this book. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord has summer, romance, best friends who don’t suck, celebrities, music and road trips. Um, WHAT ELSE WOULD I WANT FROM A BOOK?

After finishing it, I (1) tweeted the author to say how much I adored it and thank her and (2) immediately texted my friends to recommend it. You all are going to love it.

Lilah (who goes by Dee in the books and is super Taylor Swifty but in a better way) and Reagan are the BFFs I’ve been dying to read more about. Sure, they fight. They disagree. But they have each’s others backs and backstabbing never even crosses their minds. We need to see more of that in YA.

Plus, the romance. Oh, my word. It’s that “I hate you, but I sort of like you” thing that grows into “Ack! I like you? I didn’t see that coming! Must resist!” to melt-your-heart amazing.

And the character growth is really beautifully done.

Yep, this one’s going to be one of THE books for summer 2014. Mark my words!

Posted by: Anna   •   In: Uncategorized

1. sarah/appifanie said:

Yes please! Love road trip books. Last one I read was Nina LaCour’s The Disenchantments and I LOVED IT SO MUCH.

2. Jennifer aka YA Book Nerd said:

So looking forward to this book! And other summer books 🙂

3. Andi said:

We are review twins today! 🙂

Wasn’t this book fantastic? I honestly can’t think of one thing about it that I didn’t love. I just want to hug and and then read it over again and again and again!

Great review.

4. Jenna said:

I just finished this one last week and whole-heartedly agree with your review. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how realistically and slowly and “back-and-forwardly” the romance was. It was the perfect kind of tension that I adore and keeps me turning the pages.

Weren’t Dee and Reagan the best of friends? I want a best friend like Dee in my life…

Posted on: Thu, April 10, 2014

I LOVE SUMMERTIME BOOKS!!!

Ginger @ GReads! Reply:

Woah. Got a little too excited & hit send too quickly.

I also LOVE this book!

6. Hannah said:

I have heard nothing but good things about this one! It’s got pride of place on my Amazon wishlist…

7. Sue said:

Can’t wait to read this now. Thanks for the post 🙂

8. kimberlybuggie said:

That’s so funny – I also reviewed Open Road Summer today! I’m glad you liked it. I adored it. I can’t wait till I can get a physical copy!
    Happy Reading!

9. D. @ The Nerdy Journalist said:

A whole summer on tour with your BFF and a hot guy? Once again, I’m asking myself why my life can’t be a YA novel.This is definitely a poolside read for summer vacation (which needs to approach faster).

10. Jess @ Such A Novel Idea said:

I actually won this book from the author and it just showed up this week, so I’m SUPER excited to read it. Ahh, yay for summer books!

11. Carla said:

SOLD!!!!! I want this right now

12. Pam@YAEscapefromReality said:

There are so many great contemporary YAs coming out in the next week! I haven’t had the best of luck lately with that genre so I’m excited to hear about this one. Yet another to add to the TBR list. Gotta love the hate to love romance…why is that so appealing to read about?

13. Kelsie said:

“… and is super Taylor Swifty but in a better way).”

Hahaha. Good. 🙂

14. Janice said:

Woohoo, you got me at “best friends who don’t suck.” Also, romance.

15. chelsea said:

Ahh this looks amazing! I definitely need to read it after this review!

16. Cassie G said:

I just finished this one, too! Absolutely loved it! The characters were so real, and even though it was a crazy plot (like, go on tour with your best friend celebrity? Doesn’t happen to everyone), it was still so believable, and I loved it!

17. Alexa S. said:

Basically, FANTASTIC is an EXCELLENT word for this book. It was so, so good! I enjoyed reading it so much, and simply adored Matt, Dee and Reagan.

Anna Reply:

It’s definitely reread worthy — already I want to spend more time with all these characters!

18. Kelly said:

Dee reminded me of Taylor Swift, too. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that!

Anna Reply:

I’m glad it wasn’t just me too — that is definitely how I pictured her!

19. Shan said:

It was really cute, definitely enjoyed this book! Thanks for the review:)

Anna Reply: