Wed, December 4, 2013

Roomies book cover

Roomies
By Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando
Publication date: Dec. 24, 2013
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 288 pages
Source: Publisher

It’s time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl’s summer — and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they’ve never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate.

— Goodreads.com description

Ladies and gentlemen: Finally! Roomies is the New Adult novel I have been waiting for!

It’s relatable. It’s fun. It’s not overly angsty and dramarama. HOORAY!

The story takes place entirely during that scary but wild fun summer between high school and college. I loved seeing a book that took on all the normal but still very valid and BIG feelings that can bring up.

Plus, Zarr and Altebrando swapped between two main characters’ points of view. I usually hate this, but in Roomies I adored how well they weaved them together through their emails and interactions.

If, like me, you’ve been dying to read a true-to-life new adult novel, you have to give Roomies a try.

Posted by: Anna   •   In: sara zarr, tara altebrando

1. alice-jane said:

I read Roomies as well as loved it. I definitely agree to you that it’s relatable and true-to-life since I found so many things that I felt during that time in the novel.

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

2. Rebecca @ The Library Canary said:

Yay! So glad you liked this one. It sounds kind of like Fangirl to me, which I loved, and I’m always looking for true-to-life new adult, not just books filled with sex. I will definitely be checking this one out!

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

3. Alyssa said:

This sounds so cute!!! Adding it to my to-read list 😀

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

4. Lenore Appelhans said:

Yay for relatable NA. I have tried to read so many NAs that I have to DNF because DRAMA.

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

5. Brianna said:

This looks interesting. It doesn’t look like they have the Kindle version, though, just a free preview.

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

6. Sydney said:

I’ve been getting more into NA recently since the genre seems to be expanding and picking up speed. This will probably be one that I definitely pick up once it’s out!

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

7. Shelly said:

This one sounds really interesting! I’m still hesitant about the New Adult genre but this one looks really good. I’ll definitely give it a chance, thanks for sharing! 🙂

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

8. Anya said:

Ooh, this looks good. Since I’m going off to school next fall I’ll definitely have to give it a try!

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013

9. Alexa Y. said:

I’m really happy that you liked this one! I’m looking forward to reading it, particularly since I’ve had roomies since 2005.

Posted on: Wed, December 4, 2013