Sun, May 12, 2013

Traveling with Books

I’m traveling a lot for work these days and have to tell you: The best thing about it is honestly all the reading time I get in.

Truly, how do people travel if they don’t read?! Don’t they go crazy from all that WAITING if they don’t have a book to keep them occupied!?!?!?!

I just got 300 pages in to a new book on a flight today — Rick Yancey’s The 5th Wave (spoiler alert: IT IS AMAZING). See! Look at all that quality reading! Here’s what I have with me…

photo

…what should I read next?

All physical copies, I know! Usually I’m a Kindle girl when I travel, but here are my thoughts on that:

PROS: Lightweight, plenty of options if you do not like the book you’re reading, only need one
CONS: Cannot read them during takeoff/landing periods, if it busts you’re out of luck

Yeah, the lightweight bit is awesome, but the cons are VERY serious cons. What if you’re at a good part right when the flight attendants tell you to put the book away!? TORTURE!

And the risk of it breaking is not one I’m willing to take anymore. Not after a certain incident in which I started out a long beach vacation to the Bahamas like this…

photo-1 copy

And one misplaced lean the wrong way later…ended up with a cracked, broken Kindle and NO books for the rest of the trip. NIGHTMARE!

What are you thoughts? How do you like to travel with books?

Posted by: Anna   •   In: me yes me

1. Ashley said:

I tend to travel with my nook, but that being said, the not reading during take off and landing is really, really annoying. Mostly because once I get into a book, I don’t like to stop. Last time I was allowed to read it during take off, but during landing was a no-no. I was so confused.

2. Annette said:

I just returned from a four day camping trip. I read 3+ books. Traveling is the BEST. Can’t wait until I’m retired…I do a mix of books and kindle. I also have an iPad, so I can read on that too. I’m not constrained by weight or size, though, so I usually just take whatever I planned on reading next. Enjoy!

3. Sarah said:

I travel with my Kindle, but also always take one physical book so I can read during takeoff and landing. Sometimes I cheat and take two physical books, but I really try to limit myself so I don’t have too much extra weight in my bags.

4. Juhina said:

I like to take both, my ereader and also my physical books.. though my ereader is my iPad so it isn’t technically lightweight. hmm, I would recommend you read All I Need because when I’m on vacation I LOVE reading contemporary books!

– Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

5. DannyBookworm said:

Yes, the reading time is what I love mist about traveling.

And even though I usually only read on my Kindle, the take off and landing times seriosuly tick me off. That’s why I always have one paperback copy with me in addition to my Kindle!

6. Wendy said:

I almost always take my Kindle with me for that weight factor but recently have gotten so annoyed at the take off/landing times! It sucks because I just want to know what’s going to happen and instead I’m stuck just sitting there doing nothing. I really need to start bringing at least 1 or 2 physical books with me!

7. Bailie @ The Hemborg Wife said:

I have not converted to ereading for those con reasons! At home I have books everywhere and when I travel I love having at least one with me, I think they are my security blanket!

Posted on: Sun, May 12, 2013

I just started All I Need, so I say go for that one next! ha Also.. HELLO FROM JUST A FEW HUNDRED MILES SOUTH!!! hehe

9. Kaley @ Books Etc said:

I don’t fly, like ever, so I don’t think I’ve ever thought about the whole take off and landing thing. I would imagine that would be super frustrating so having a physical book for that and an ereader for the rest of the time isn’t a bad idea. Also, Kindles can break like that? Jeez, I’m so clueless when it comes to Kindle. I didn’t think about damage to my Kobo when I went away on a trip last year! I was doing a ridiculous commute for an internship at the beginning of the year and I liked having my Kobo more because it was lighter in my bag and easier to hold while folded up on my train seat. Interesting and thought provoking post! :)

10. Brittany @ The Book Addict’s Guide said:

I have ALWAYS travelled with physical copies but I’m thinking about bringing my Kindle along for BEA…… Maybe I’ll do both — take my Kindle along so I’ll have plenty of books but bring some “back up” physical copies. I AM reading the Game of Thrones series so just that one book would probably hold me over the whole trip, haha! :)

11. Alssa said:

Usually i love my nook, but im just not feeling it right now. Maybe because i’ve got so many physical copies on my tbr but i’d just rather not use it at all!

12. Super Librarian said:

I’m probably in the minority in that I rarely read on vacation. I always think I’ll have time to read but end up too busy sight-seeing. This is probably because we tend to visit cities rather than beaches and tend to jam pack our days with activities.

Maybe I need a relaxing beach vacation that will actually give me time to read! I think I’d take my Kindle with me since it’s lightweight and can hold tons of books.

13. Liz said:

I always have to have books when I travel. I’ve gone on many trips where I wind up traveling about 5 hours longer than expected due to delays. I do bring my iPad now, but I also take a long a physical copy or two for take-offs and landings or when my battery dies. Great post!

14. Kelly said:

I really do not understand how people travel without books. All that sitting around would drive me batty. I guess iPads/iPhones/etc help with movies and stuff but…I’d rather read!
    I agree with much of your assessment…I love my Kindle but I usually bring a few paper copies of books as backup options as well. Can never be too careful. ;)

15. estelle said:

So I think what you are saying is that we have to go on a plane somewhere? I am all for that! I’m so jealous of all your extra time, although I know you will probably miss your place soon. (I always get like that.) Hey, I get to see you soon. Like SEE YOU. eee!

16. Quinn @ Quinn’s Book Nook said:

Oh my gosh, that’s so sad about your kindle breaking on vacation. I never thought of that, and now when I travel will have to make sure I have some physical copies of books with me.

17. Amanda @ Late Nights with Good Books said:

I actually just got back from traveling, and I definitely agree with your listed pros and cons. I ended up bringing only one book with me (Libba Bray’s The Diviners – but at least it was long and something I was only planning to read while on the plane/at the airport). It is so frustrating to have to turn off my Kindle for takeoff and landing, especially when some flights I’m on are short enough that the majority of the time we’re either taking off or landing. Except for their sheer bulk, physical books are much more handy while traveling on planes, in my opinion.

18. Michelle @ In Libris Veritas said:

I always pack something to read when I travel, it’s usually the first thing I figure out. Even before my outfits or necessities. Before my Kindle I’d pack around three books if it was a week long trip…and depending on where I went would depend on if I had more books on the return trip. I had to be very careful with that because one time I left with 3 and came home with 8. Now I have my Kindle so I pack that and 1 thick book (or 2 medium) for a week trip. It usually holds me over and it’s much safer to buy books without worrying about weight. I don’t use my Kindle on the plane at all.

19. Rachel @ MWF Seeking BFF said:

I read Parallel and loved it! So anxious to hear what you think!

20. April said:

I just bought the 5th wave over the weekend and I cannot wait to start it. I heard it’s amazing! :)

Yikes to a kindle broken on a traveling trip. I have the kindle app on my phone for just incase situations like that. I hate reading on my phone but if I was at the end of a book or in a good part, it’s a good back up incase something goes wrong.

We are traveling next month, a family vacation, but I think I’ll be leaving everything home. Disney to celebrate my daughters 5th birthday. Ultimate sacrifice. lol. but she puts up with me reading alot, so I’ll live.

21. Katherine said:

I’m definitely in the Bring the E-reader plus a Physical Book camp! But often instead of a physical book, I’ll pack a couple of magazines. That way I have something to dip into that I can easily go out of once I have access to my Kindle again. Although I’ll end up bringing a paperback or two as well if I hit the beach – I get nervous reading digitally with so much sand nearby.

22. The Monday Mix #6 | said:

[...] Anna of Anna Reads wrote this cool post about traveling with books, something I imagine all book lovers need advice on now and again. [...]