Tue, May 14, 2013

Top 10 Books Dealing with Tough Subjects

Top 10 Books Dealing with Tough Subjects

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker book coverThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green book coverRaw Blue by Kirsty Eagar book coverHow to Save a Life by Sara Zarr book coverSkinny by Donna Cooner book coverI'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan book coverIf I Stay by Gayle Forman book coverSpeechless by Hannah Harrington book coverThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher book coverSomething Like Normal by Trish Doller book cover

Cheating: Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker
Cancer: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Abuse: Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
Teen Pregnancy: How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr
Weight: Skinny by Donna Cooner
Family: I’ll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Death: If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Bullying: Speechless by Hannah Harrington
Suicide: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
War: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

1. Chrissi Reads said:

Speechless was a great read. I’ve read The Fault In Our Stars too. Great list.

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

Love your choices! I really need to read Raw Blue asap.

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

3. Krista said:

I think I’m missing out on a lot of good books. I keep seeing If I Stay – it’s been on my TBR list for awhile now!

Here’s my list this week –> TTT @ Krista’s Dust Jacket

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

4. Laura @ the Booksmartie said:

I like the different subtopics you chose…I always refer to Tough books as to being books about mental illnesses or maybe family problems, but I should really broaden my view :) Also, totally agree with How to Save a Life! Just read it recently and it was so good!

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

I like that we both included Unbreak My Heart. And I know we chose it for the same reasons. It’s the first book I read and loved dealing with cheating by the MC. The fact that she made us care for her.. wow. Nicely done.

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

6. Sarah said:

Great list! I’ve read a bunch of those. I really enjoyed Speechless and I’ll Be There.

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

7. Candice @ The Grown-Up YA said:

Love how you chose all different subtopics! I had forgotten about suicide; loved Thirteen Reasons Why!

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

8. Eve @ Every Flavour Books said:

Wow, great choices. We both have How to Save a Life and Thirteen Reasons Why on our lists. I loved the beautiful sadness of If I Stay as well. I bet the rest are as thought-provoking and can’t wait to read them – thanks for sharing!

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

9. Cecelia said:

UNBREAK MY HEART is the only book from your list that I’ve read, but that’s okay – I can see that I have some excellent books in my future. And I love how varied everyone’s picks are this week. Thanks for sharing yours!

Posted on: Tue, May 14, 2013

10. Faye said:

TFIOS is an amazing read! As is Speechless! These are the only two from your list that I have read but I have added a fair few of these to my TBR pile now as well. I love books that really get into the nitty gritty of things and break the mold. Thanks for sharing your favourites.

Faye :)