Mon, July 16, 2012

Top 10 Books for People Who Like Graceling

Top 10 Books for People Who Like Graceling

This week, we got to pick a book and recommend 10 books you might also like. So, if you’re a fan of Kristin Cashore’s Graceling, Fire and Bitterblue…these are the books for you!

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson book coverGrave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers book coverPoison Study by Maria V. Snyder book coverIncarnate by Jodi Meadows book coverDragonswood by Janet Lee Carey book coverBrightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken book coverThe Thief by Megan Whalen Turner book coverShadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott book cover

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey
Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott

As we speak, I’m reading Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, and it’s definitely along these lines as well.

Plus, I haven’t read these, but they’re high up on my wish list after I’ve seen other readers compare them to Cashore’s works:

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Castles! Romance! Maybe even some dragons! Hurrah for fantasy!

1. Hwa Sun said:

Thank you for these recommendations! I love Graceling, and it’d be nice to read some other awesome fantasy books, too 🙂

2. marissa said:

I love Graceling…like adore, like have dreamed of how I will make myself a Katsa costume many times. And I’ve only read half these so I’m SO excited!

GracelingFan...Bigtime Reply:

Hey guess what I made a Katsa Costume! I was her for Halloween! I even had two different colored eyes! Yay! it was a really awesome outfit! Good Luck on yours!
    -GracelingFan…Bigtime

3. Lisa N. said:

I haven’t read Graceling yet but I heard great things about the book. I will check out some of the books on the list. Great list!

Top Ten Tuesday

Lisa @ Shatterbooks

4. Randi M said:

Love the recommendations! 🙂 I loved Graceling and Shadow and Bone. Seraphina and Dragonswood are patiently waiting on my shelf. And I am really exciting for Falling Kingdoms! 🙂

5. Janus @ The Blair Book Project said:

I love Graceling! and I really enjoyed reading Grave Mercy and Brightly Woven as well. Dragonswood, Incarnate and The Girl of Fire and Thorns are on my TBR for some time already, can’t wait to finally get the chance to read them.

Great list! Check out my Top Ten?

Janus @ The Blair Book Project

6. BarefootMedStudent said:

I haven’t read ANY of those, but I’ve been looking around for Graceling to no avail. Incarnate and Poison Study is also on my TBR.

Posted on: Mon, July 16, 2012

Yes! I loooooove Kristin Cashore’s books and I loooove Grave Mercy and Fire and Thorns! You should read Finnkin and Shadow and Bone asap. They are so awesome. Great list!

8. Grad Student @ Young Adult Fiction and Whiskey Sours said:

We picked the same prompt! Great minds think alike. But we focused on leading ladies who kick butt. (Still, there is some overlap, like the awesome Girl of Fire and Thorns).
    Shadow of the Moon looks like it would fit right in!

9. Laura @ the Booksmartie said:

Haha, haven’t read any of these – not even Graceling! But it seems to me that I’d love Graceling like crazy and The Girl of Fire and Thorns and Poisoon Study linger on my TBR-lists for a while now – so many good books, so little time!
    My TTT:

10. Jessie Marie @ The Daily Bookmark said:

I love every letter of this list. I absolutely ADORED Graceling as well as The Girl of Fire & Thorns, Poison Study and Shadow and Bone and I wholeheartedly agree on the relation. Haven’t heard of The Thief, but I’m definitely going to check it out.

Great list!

11. Christina (BookTasty) said:

Oh how I loved Graceling and I keep hearing how much I’ll like Grave Mercy too so I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I also recently bought The Thief and Fire & Thorns for my Media Center so hopefully I can read those soon too 🙂

12. Brittany @ The Book Addict’s Guide said:

Awesome! Those all look like great suggestions. I just finished Graceling (which I loved) and just started Grave Mercy! 🙂

13. Mel@thedailyprophecy said:

I loved Dragonswood SO much <3 The inside is just as pretty as the outside 😀 And I have a good experience with another book from Zoë Marriott, so I'm definitely going to read Shadows on the moon.

Thanks for sharing this list! It's great.

14. Magan @ Rather Be Reading said:

I might get all-capped again for telling you this, but alas – you hold me accountable for THE BOOKS THAT MUST BE READ. I have only read Throne of Glass from this list. Not even Graceling. I know. WHAT?! Tweet me and tell me which ones are your TOP must-reads from your list? =D

15. gautami tripathy said:

Sorry! I am not a Graceling fan!!

Here is my Top Ten post!

16. April Books & Wine said:

SHADOW AND BONE. Read that noise sooooooon. It is SO a you book. And there is kissing.
    Boom gauntlet dropped.

Also. I think that Tamora Pierce’s books make good readalikes.

AND OH MY GOD. THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS FOREVER MY 2011 FAVORITE. Ahhh.

AND THE THIEF.

Frick dude, I just want to repeat all the titles I read in capslock.

17. Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books said:

First of all, I loved, loved, LOVED Graceling. That book is AMAZING. I can’t wait to pick up Bitterblue (since I’ve already read Fire).

And Incarnate is one of my favorite books of 2012. I’m dying to read Asunder and find out what happens next.

Apart from those 2 and Shadows on the Moon (which was also fantastic, by the way), I haven’t read any of the other books on your list. EEP! I should remedy that straightaway!

18. Nina said:

I really want to read all of those books. They look so pretty. 🙂

19. Kailia @ Reading the Best of the Best said:

Great recommendations! I love Graceling, Fire, Poison Study, Brightly Woven and Seraphina. The others, I need to read!
    ~Kailia @ Reading the Best of the Best

20. Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog said:

Fantastic recommendations for fantasy lovers.

21. Cat @ Beyond Books said:

I am currently stalking some of your reviews right now because I didn’t realize that Dragonswood was fantasy**. I thought it was paranormal and although it’s waiting patiently in my Book Depository wishlist for me to take it home, I have been hestitating, but now… now?? !@Y%EGYGB~BB~~!!!!! *ahem*

I’d like to add THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J Maas to this one, and if you didn’t get a copy at BEA I’d suggest you get your hands on one if you love high fantasy. It’s so good. I started my review yesterday but it’s still in draft. It will be up before tomorrow though.

** this also goes for Incarnate and Grace Mercy. Hmmm.

22. Cat @ Beyond Books said:

PS – the Poison series is one of my all-time favourites. 😉

23. Amanda @ Late Nights with Good Books said:

Ahh this is an amazing list. YA fantasy novels FTW! I’ll definitely have to check out all the ones you mention here that I have yet to read.

24. Mary @ mysistersbookshelf said:

I love Graceling, but I extra love Megan Whalen Turner right now. I’ve been telling everyone they have to pick up this series! It’s a good call to recommend here! (I also enjoyed Brightly Woven and Poison Study and I am really looking forward to Seraphina) But mostly… EUGENIDES!

25. Sharon @ Fictionally Inclined said:

Oh, thank you for the recs! I love Graceling, and I’ve been in the mood for similar books lately. I’ll have to start with several on this list. 🙂

26. Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know said:

Nice list! Some of these are on my TBR list, but since I liked Graceling I might have to bump them up to closer to the top.

I cheated this week, but check out my TTT if you get a chance.

Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

27. Joie @ Joie de Lire said:

I just finished Bitterblue today and now I want to reread the entire series! I haven’t read any of these books, but if they’re anything like Graceling, I’ll definitely have to check them out! Poison Study is on my TBR list, though, because I loved her Healer series! 🙂

Here’s my TTT

28. Sash from Sash and Em said:

FINNIKIN. <333 my heart isn't big enough to hold all the love I feel for the Lumatere Chronicles.

29. Ashlee said:

Thank you for recommending these! I’ve had a Kristin Cashore hangover since I’ve finished Bitterblue. I’ve been desperately looking for readalikes. I liked Grave Mercy, but I wanted a little bit more from it. I just checked out The Girl of Fire and Thorns, and plan on starting it tonight. I will add the others to my long summer reading list to finish before I go back to school!

You will not be disappointed with Finnikin of the Rock or the follow up, Froi of Exiles. It made me so happy that those were both long books.

30. Jennifer – YA BOOK NERD said:

I would add Throne of Glass, Touch of Power, and Alanna

31. Sunny said:

Oh my gosh, you have “The Thief” on there! I’ve been meaning to read Grave Mercy. I know, I’m such a bad reviewer 🙂

32. Isaac Hooke said:

Yay! Jodi Meadows’ Incarnate is here! Good choice 🙂

33. varsha said:

I loved graceling, fire and bitterblue. And also I loved “the daughter of smoke and bones” series. Just so simple but so beautiful a set of books! !

34. Jenelle said:

Great hammer of Thor, that is pouferwlly helpful!