Mon, May 21, 2012

My Favorite Non-Bookish Websites

Top 10 Sites You Read That AREN’T about Books

First of all: What? There are blogs about things other than books?! Ahaha, I kid.

I used to read a lot of music blogs. But then I graduated from college and lost my “cool.”

Then, it was all about the gossip blogs. But then I realized they were mean and stopped.

And, finally, I got really into home design blogs. But then all the home bloggers had kids and…well, I couldn’t relate to the kajillion posts about their kids. (I’m looking at you, Young House Love!) So no more of that either.

Instead, I mostly read entertainment sites and some food sites. Here’s the rundown of the blogs/sites I check daily:

1. Entertainment Weekly (Let’s be honest: I check this a few times a day.)

2. People (Ditto.)

3. Chicago Tribune (I used to work in newspapers, and it’s a habit I’ll never break!)

4. Facebook (Daily updates on who’s knocked up and who got drunk over the weekend!)

5. Pinterest (Click here to follow me!)

6. Iowa Girl Eats (I love to cook, and her recipes are super easy for busy work nights.)

7. Budget Babe (A fashion blog written by my friend Dianna on how to look hot on the cheap.)

8. What Should We Call Me (Funny GIFs never get old. NEVER!)

9. The tumblrs of people I know. (Okay, but obviously I don’t want these people to know I read them. I just like to anonymously stalk them. C’mon, don’t pretend you don’t have a few of those in your Google Reader.)

10. Oprah.com (I used to work there and can’t help but check up on how they’re doing. Oprah habits die hard!)

1. Melanie said:

You used to work for Oprah? That must have been an interesting job!

I don’t understand why people talk about their drunkenness on facebook. Especially when they include something like “never doing that again.” YEAH RIGHT. :D
    Melanie recently posted..Walk Through My Reader: Part TwoMy Profile

2. Magan @ Rather Be Reading said:

Um, the whole “But then all the home bloggers had kids and…well, I couldn’t relate to the kajillion posts about their kids.” part. YES. O.M.G. yes. I have tons of DIY blogs in my reader, but skip so many posts because of kid posts. Also, my facebook – everyone, EVERY.ONE. is pregnant these days. Ya know you’re going through a new stage in life when the posts on facebook start looking alike. Or something like that. :-/
    Magan @ Rather Be Reading recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday: Those OTHER Blogs We VisitMy Profile

3. Jamie said:

YES I think YOU were the one that tipped me off to Iowa Girl Eats. Will would thank you for this discovery but I’m just gonna go ahead and keep pretending I discovered it so he can be in awe of my superior food blog finding skills.

ALSO yes. So many DIY blogs I love but I can’t relate to all the kid related posts.
    Jamie recently posted..Help…PLEASE.My Profile

4. Christina Booktasty said:

I barely read any blogs other than bookish ones. I’m going to check out Iowa Girl Eats though, that sounds like an interesting one! Thanks for sharing!
    Christina Booktasty recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Recently Bought for My Media CenterMy Profile

5. Ann Kristin said:

What Should We Call Me is funny. Great tip for a good laugh. :)

6. elena said:

Ooh I like the sound of Iowa Girl Eats and The Budget Babe, thanks! I also think it’s super cool you used to work at Oprah, my cousin loves her.
    elena recently posted..top ten tuesday: blogs outside of book blogsMy Profile

7. BarefootMedStudent said:

You used to work for Oprah? Wow.
    What Should We Call Me is so awesome, I admire that kind o creativity.
    BarefootMedStudent recently posted..TTT: Best Procrastination SitesMy Profile

Posted on: Mon, May 21, 2012

I couldn’t list ten this week because I am so, so sad. ;) I love the sound of Iowa Girl Eats! Definitely checking that one out.
    Lori recently posted..Top Ten Sites I Visit That Aren’t Bookish….My Profile

9. Kimberl said:

What Should We Call Me is hilarious! I just wasted 15 minutes of comment time scrolling through some of them!
    Kimberl recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Non Book SitesMy Profile

Posted on: Mon, May 21, 2012

This is when you know you’re over 30 because I don’t have “friends” on facebook anymore that update about their drunken weekends, haha. And if I do — they are “hidden” hahaha
    Ginger @ GReads! recently posted..Tune in Tuesday {82}: Random Playlists EditionMy Profile

11. Brandyn said:

Lol that’s funny about younghouselove. I still visit them everyday (usually twice a day), but I do wonder why they put some much clara stuff on the main page instead of the younghouselife alternative. Seriously – why else do they have the alternative?
    Brandyn recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday – Top Ten blogs/sites I visit that aren’t about books.My Profile

12. Kyle @ A Reader’s Pensieve said:

Oooh I forgot about Iowa Girl Eats and I have you to thank for that one!! I have a modified green monster smoothie every morning and I really like most of her other recipes!

13. Janus @ The Blair Book Project said:

I love your first line! So funny. This is by far the hardest Top Ten I had to do so I congratulation those who’ve actually managed to get a full 10. So jealous. LOL.

Anyway, I’m checking out some of those sites on your list. You’ve got some really cool ones.

Stop by my Top Ten?

Janus @ The Blair Book Project
    Janus @ The Blair Book Project recently posted..YABC TBR Challenge 2012My Profile

14. Melissa @ i swim for oceans said:

Hahah Facebook and Pinterest are on mine, too, obviously ;)

I had to add Hyperbole and a Half to mine, too. I feel like you would enjoy it!

15. Gretchen @ My Life is a Notebook said:

You have now made me hungry. Thanks for that! :P Thanks for that laugh, too! :D
    Gretchen @ My Life is a Notebook recently posted..Top Ten Blogs/Sites I Read That AREN’T about BooksMy Profile

16. Shannon@BooksDevoured said:

I am so glad you included Iowa Girl Eats! I love food sites and I am always on the look out for new ones. I checked out her site and I really want to make the first thing I saw there, the ham and cheese pretzel sandwiches!
    Shannon@BooksDevoured recently posted..TTT~ Non-Bookish SitesMy Profile

17. Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog said:

Great links! Now following you on Pinterest :)
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Sites I Read that AREN’T about BooksMy Profile

18. ShootingStarsMag said:

Oh gosh, I just followed What Should We Call Me. I think I’m going to be obsessed now. Gifs really are the best. I can’t even. lol Thanks for that!!

-Lauren

19. Sarah @ Storybound Girl said:

Haha! I totally skip all the kid stuff at YHL! Sooooo not my thing (but I like their 2nd house more, so I keep checking back.)
    Sarah @ Storybound Girl recently posted..TOP TEN: Non-Book Websites I LoveMy Profile

20. Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know said:

I personally really liked this topic. It’s interesting to see what sites bloggers I follow like to check out in their spare time.
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know recently posted..Top 10 Non-Book Related Sites/BlogsMy Profile

21. Em @ Sash & Em said:

Wonderful list!! You have worked at so many unique places!

Pinterest…oh yes and the tumblrs with the GIFs. haha

Here are another few that are hilarious (not sure if you already read them):
    HowDoIPutThisGently
    MyLifeAsMeanGirls
    PatheticLifeStory
    CollegeGreeks

Those are just the ones off of the top of my head. :-D

<3 Em
    Em @ Sash & Em recently posted..Top Ten Blogs/Sites We Read That AREN’T About BooksMy Profile

22. Sash from Sash and Em said:

All of these rock. ESPECIALLY WHAT SHOULD WE CALL ME. We really are tripletsies. :)
    Sash from Sash and Em recently posted..Top Ten Blogs/Sites We Read That AREN’T About BooksMy Profile

23. Hannah @ So Obsessed With said:

I’m totally with you on Pinterest, Facebook, People and Entertainment Weekly. AND What Should We Call Me is hilarious! I love it! Now following you on Pinterest :)
    Hannah @ So Obsessed With recently posted..Daily Reads: Non-Book Blog EditionMy Profile

24. Karan Labra said: