Tue, May 29, 2012

Must-Reads for Future Generations

Top 10 Books Written in the Past 10 Years
That I Hope People Are Still Reading in 30 Years

THIS IS SO HARD. First of all, I don’t really read a lot of books that are, like, “worthy to be studied in English class” books. I mean, just being honest.

Secondly, some of my favorite picks are more than 10 years old and I don’t wanna cheat. So let’s say Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson gets the honorary 10-spot on my list, even though it technically doesn’t count. Meanwhile, the other nine that should stand the test of time…

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Obvs..

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins book cover

2. Harry Potter books 5-7.5 by J.K. Rowling
Well, I’d say the whole series, but only these were in the 10-year span. I’m following the rules, yo!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling book cover

3. The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
An equally delightful and heartbreaking look at life on a reservation.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie book cover

4. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Such an important and timeless subject matter.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher book cover

5. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
The story is surprising and beautiful, and the history lesson here should be carrier through the ages.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein book cover

6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Maybe someday cancer will be cured and this book will lose some of its poignancy. I hope so. In the meantime…this book is a must-read.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green book cover

7. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
You don’t know what you got till its gone. And that will be true for teens ALWAYS. We’re selfish beasts by nature in our adolescence, what can I say?

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver book cover

8. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
A beautiful story about loss and survival.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman book cover

9. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Okay, maybe it’s not as serious as the others. But it gets boys (and girls, but I feel there are more books geared toward girls) to read, and the Greek mythology? ALREADY A CLASSIC! This is a great series that I hope stays popular.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan book cover

1. Bree said:

I had The Hunger Games as well and I definitely agree with If I Stay. I’ve heard a lot about Code Name Verity recently, definitely going to have to track that one down.

Posted on: Tue, May 29, 2012

We have a few in common! If I Stay is such a great pick! I love that book so much.

3. Tanya Patrice said:

I’ve only read The Hunger Games from this list and totally agree. I want to get to Before I Fall soon too.

4. Christina Booktasty said:

I agree with Thirteen Reasons Why. It should be read by everyone. :)

5. Alison said:

Great list, Anna! The Percy Jackson series will stick around for a while I think. Mythology stories have a great staying power. And you’re right, it’s a great book for boys.

6. Lauren@The Housework Can Wait said:

Way to go, following the rules! I kind of cheated in that if a series flowed over to within the past 10 years, I put the whole series on my list. I know. I’m a big cheaterpants.

I love Before I Fall so much. Haven’t read If I Stay or Code Name Verity yet, but they’re both high up on my list.

7. Fara @ Tumbling In Books said:

These are all great books! Oliver and Green is definitely a must! And gah! Thirteen Reasons Why. That really brought me to tears and yes, that book is just really timeless. Great list! :D

8. Elin said:

Love your list:) Before I fall is on of my favorite too:)

9. Gretchen said:

It’s amazing how many of these I haven’t read! Man, though, Code Name Verity. That was the best book I’d read in a very long time. Harry Potter FTW! :D

10. Amy @ bookgoonie said:

Great list. There are too many that I still need to read.

11. Holley said:

I love so many of the books on this list!!! I still need to read TFIOS.

12. Mary @mysistersbookshelf.com said:

Great list! I think its interesting to see how many of us chose to include books dealing with WW2. We put The Book Thief – Ive also seen Guernsey Literary Society…

13. Lauren said:

Oh I definitely agree with you about the Percy Jackson series. I think Rick Riordan really understands what will get kids–both boys and girls–to read. And he manages to make it informative at the same time.

14. Hannah @ In the Best Worlds said:

I LOVE your list. I haven’t read Code Name Verity – but all the others are definitely worth sticking around for future generations. Especially 13 Reasons Why and Before I Fall. <3

15. Karis (YA Litwit) said:

Love your list! We share a few! I am so happy to see Part-Time Indian on someone else’s list! I think every American should read it!

Check out my Top Ten!

16. Joie @ Joie de Lire said:

I love your list! I can’t believe I forgot about The Fault in Our Stars! *face palm*… Anything by Lauren Oliver is a must read in my book.

Here are my Top Ten picks

17. Mel @thedailyprohecy said:

I didn’t follow the rules, so I adjusted the title by putting the ten years in (..) :p I couldn’t leave out the fairytales I love so dearly.

Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, great choices. There are also a lot of books I still want to read – and will read soon. So I love your list :)

18. Vicky B said:

I’ve been wanting to read Thirteen Reasons Why for a while, but I know it’s going to be emotional, so I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it yet.

19. We Heart YA said:

Totally agree with HG, HP, and ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY. We would also put THE BLUE SWORD and THE HERO AND THE CROWN (duology) by Robin McKinley on our list.

20. Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog said:

I do believe The Hunger Games will stand the test of time. Terrific list, by the way.

21. Shannon@BooksDevoured said:

You have me so interested in Code Name Verity when I was unsure of it before. This is a great list!

22. Melissa @ Writer Grrl Reads said:

Awesome list! I totally agree with you on Before I Fall and TFiOS — such amazing books!!!!

Here’s my TTT: http://writergrrlreads.blogspot.ca/2012/05/top-ten-books-that-i-hope-are-still.html

23. Lisa said:

PERCYYYYYYY.

24. Laura said:

I totally agree on 13 Reasons Why – included it on my list, too! I feel like every single person on this planet should read it :)
    You can seec my TTT here:

25. Cindy said:

Yes! I hope HP is still as loved as today. As well as the HG. If I Stay is also a great choice. Awesome picks for this :)

26. Raechel @ Backwood Reviews said:

Great choices! I definitely agree on your picks of 13 Reasons Why and The Hunger Games. I wish I would have thought to add 13 Reasons to my list.

My TTT: http://backwoodreviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/top-ten-tuesdays-books-id-like-to-see.html

27. Hannah @ So Obsessed With said:

I totally cheated and included all the Harry Potter books. Oops! Also, I still can’t believe that 1-4 were all published more than 10 years ago. That’s crazy! I also included the Hunger Games (obvs), and I was excited to see Code Name Verity on your list. I haven’t read it yet, but I have a feeling I’m going to love it. I have heard such amazing things about it!