Sun, May 20, 2012

Best YA Summer Books 2012

This is how I spent my weekend. Refreshing beverage in one hand, Kindle in the other, beach as far as the eye can see!

Which means one thing: IT’S TIME FOR YA SUMMER BOOKS.

What makes a book a “summer book”? Well, for me, summer is the time of the contemporary YA novel. That means:

1. Beaches
2. Boys
3. Road trips

OH YEAH. So, without further ado, your 2012 summer reading list:

Best YA Summer Books 2012

Road Trip Books

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson book coverIn Honor by Jessi Kirby book coverSaving June by Hannah Harrington book cover

Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
In Honor by Jessi Kirby
Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Boys

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins book coverPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles book coverPants on Fire by Meg Cabot book cover

Lola and the Boys Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot

Beaches

Moonglass by Jessi Kirby book coverEndless Summer by Jennifer Echols book coverThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Moonglass by Jessi Kirby
Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Vacations

Caribbean Cruising by Rachel Hawthorne book coverAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins book coverWanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard book cover

Caribbean Cruising by Rachel Hawthorne
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Funny Stuff

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCaffertyThe Boyfriend List by E. LockhartTen Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski book cover

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart
Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn’t Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Summer in a New Town

Along for the Ride by Sarah DessenLovestruck Summer by Melissa Walker book cover

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Lovestruck Summer by Melissa Walker

A Little More Serious

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson book coverTwenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler book coverThe Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson book cover

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Adventure/Mischief

Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller book coverHeist Society by Ally Carter book coverThe Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart book cover

Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller
Heist Society by Ally Carter
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Girls Gone “Wild”

Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott book coverGoing Too Far by Jennifer Echols book cover

Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott
Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Fame

L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad book coverSecrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita book coverAll-American Girl by Meg Cabot book cover

L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad
Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita
All-American Girl by Meg Cabot

BFF Books

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson book coverThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares book cover

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Keep Your Eyes Peeled For…

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols book coverMy Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick book coverUnbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker book cover

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

We all know there’s nothing better than to kick back on a pretty day, relax and read a good book. So, enjoy! Happy summertime and happy reading!

Posted by: Anna   •   In: me yes me, summer, Uncategorized

1. TheCaffeinatedReader said:

Ooh great picks. I’m reading Lovestruck SMummer right now, and I’m dying to get my hands on My Life Next Door. Thanks for the list, I’ll definitely be buying the few I haven’t read :)

2. Kelsey said:

So many good picks! I think people write off summer books too much, a lot of these have made a huge impact on me.

Though I am ashamed to admit that I haven’t read any of the Sloppy First’s books… I’m making a TBR list tonight, so I suppose I’ll add those! Thanks for the list

Kelsey Reply:

P.S… I LOVE the bathing suit. Jcrew?

Anna Reply:

Target! I’m a budget babe ;)

Posted on: Sun, May 20, 2012

Can we please make a date to read summer books while sipping some cold wine on your patio? Please and thank you.

Anna Reply:

DEAL!

4. Jen said:

I am so jealous of the fact that you got to go to the beach. All we have here is the stupid Ohio River. No one wants to swim in that shiz. But YAY for these books.

5. Estelle said:

This is such a comprehensive list! One I would add is the Darlings series by Melissa Kantor. It sort of falls in the line of BFFs. :) I just read the first one and I liked it a lot. You should look into it!

I feel sort of accomplished because I’ve read a handful of these. Wouldn’t my mom be so proud? haha

Posted on: Sun, May 20, 2012

This is such a great list, thanks! :)

7. Samantha @ ReadingAndCoffee said:

Loving the list! I just finished Ten Things We Did last night, and started Perfect Chemistry this morning!

8. Melanie @thedailyprohecy said:

Ahhh, I’m so jealous that you can go to the beach! The weather is alright now over here, but still not warm enough for the beach.

And I liked the list you made! I haven’t read any of these books, but I have some on my list :D So I will be checking them out this summer!

Anna Reply:

None of them? OH THEY ARE SO GOOD! Please try at least one!

9. Rowena said:

Fabulous list, this is like my favorite list of books that I’ve seen all year. All of my favorites are on here!

You’re totally right too because these are all such wonderful summer beach reads.

10. nea barabea said:

Aww Anna!! I love this post!! And I too, tend to read more contemporary books in the Summer. It just feels right! :) Great post! ;) ;)

Enjoy your summer time! Here isn’t summer yet :/ There was some storm and now it’s cold again grrrr.

11. Valia said:

So glad to see Ally Carter’s book on your list! I LOVE that series so much! :-)

12. Cindy said:

This is a great list! I definitely want to check quite a few of those out :)

13. Alita said:

Yay for summer reading! I love road trip books, but I haven’t read any on your list. I just finished The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour while on a 3 day road trip. It was the perfect pick for my long weekend reading.

I finally read The Sky is Everywhere a couple weeks ago and OH MY it was so good.

14. fishgirl182 said:

great list! i actually have all of the road trip books. i am not a huge contemp reader but summer does seem like a good time for it. i will definitely have to bookmark some of these titles.

15. heidi said:

Loving this summer reads list, Anna! I agree, summer is THE time for contemps. Not sure why, but it works! Maybe because I associate a lot of contemporary reads with lightness and fun, thought you’ve come up with plenty suggestions that have a lot of depth!

16. Jennifer said:

Woohoo! I can’t wait for summer. This is a great list. What’s so funny is that I’ve been reading a lot of fantasy/paranormal and dystopia this year, and I was thinking of reading nothing but contemporary YA this summer. Like Heidi said, maybe it’s because contemporary is light and fun. Unfortunately, I haven’t read any of these, but I’m definitely going to add them to my summer reading list(: Thanks, Anna!

17. Neri said:

Can’t wait for summer, I actually plan on going to the beach this weekend to kick off summer. Thanks for the great recs.

I LOVE this list! LOVE!

19. Jennie said:

I am loving all of these recommendations. Some I have read (and loved!) and some are new…thanks!

20. We Heart YA said:

Love the reccos! As we said on FB, we just posted a couple “school’s out!” reccos ourselves, and TWENTY BOY SUMMER was on our list too.

21. Jasmine Rose said:

Amy & Roger’s! Yes yes yes!
    13 Little Blue Envelopes and Kiki Strike are both fantastic summer reads :]

22. Em @ Sash & Em said:

Jeez Lady!! You’re going to make me go broke trying to get through all of these this summer.

I love love love your list…it’s so…comprehensive & fantastic!

I have a lot of books to pack for my beach week now. haha Great post, love!

-Em

23. Kelsie said:

Thanks for introducing me to Peaches! Sounds fun!

24. Marie said:

Fantastic picks! You get ten cool points for mentioning “Stealing Heaven”! I don’t think that book gets enough attention and it’s so deserving!

25. Mademoiselle Pointillés said:

Peeeerfeeect pooost!!! :D
    I love it and I want to read ALL of these books!!

I bought Sloppy firsts last week :) (your fault! ^^)

Have a nice summer Anna!

Ps: I love your bath suit!!

26. Sara K said:

Sorry if this post came up already, but I really recommend On the Line by Jackie Bardenwerper!

27. Passion for Summer: My Favourites | Forever a Book Addict said:

[...] Acum cateva luni, am descoperit un blog care acum este printre preferatele mele. Se numeste Anna Reads. La inceputul verii, Anna a scris o lista foarte interesanta despre cartile ei contemorary preferate, pe care ni le recmanda sa le citim in timpul verii. Puteti vedea lista aici. [...]