Mon, April 30, 2012

Top 10 YA Books That Should Be Movies

Top 10 Books That Should Be Made Into Movies

1. Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Oh, c’mon, we all know by now that 85.5% of all my Top 10 lists start with this book. Let’s just acknowledge that I’m ridiculous and move on…because you know this would make a damn good movie!

Thankfully, it may be in the works. Anna Christopher is working on the screenplay right now, and what I saw in a sneak peek of her vision of it is just…YES. She gets it, so I’m in.

And, look, yeah, there will never be an actor who fits everyone’s visions of Marcus Flutie. But whatever, I’m the type of person who never judges a movie based on a book by its cover. If that makes sense. Have faith till you see it, is all I’m saying.

Anyway, my dream Marcus is too old now:

Yes, Eddie Redmayne. Let’s discuss why. First of all: Rooster hair. Red rooster hair. Second, I just reread the series and realized how often Marcus is described as “lanky” with a really angular face. Hello, Redmayne!

But my dream Jessica (Ashley Rickards from Awkward) is still age-appropriate, no?

HAHA, c’mon, these are total Jessica faces and you know it.

2. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Oooh this book would be the perfect romantic comedy. The entire time I read reading it, I got the same fuzzy feeling I get while watching a good movie. This. Must. Happen.

For Oliver, I pictured Julian Morris from Pretty Little Liars…maybe because of his British accent. Again, too old, but cute, so let’s just imagine, yeah?

3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Oh, sure, we’d sob like babies. But it’s SO GOOD that I think it could maybe work as a movie.

4. Heist Society by Ally Carter

The teen version of Ocean’s 11 and Italian Job? This was made to be a movie.

5. Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott

Same reasons as above. Plus, everyone likes thievery movies.

And I realize I’m only sharing my casting opinions for the male parts. But, WHATEVER, I can’t control my brain. Brando Eaton (I know him from Dexter) looks young cop-ish enough to be a good Greg.

6. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Think of how many Cinderella remakes you’ve seen. Now, add in all the ones you’ve seen that were made-for-TV movies you watched on the Disney Channel but were too ashamed to add. See? They never get old. Plus: CYBORGS!

7. Um…ermm…

Okay, I got too distracted by mental casting to come up with more. But obviously Divergent and Legend and Across the Universe would be cool, but they’d be too big budget. Still, they’re on my wish list.

And can I say one that I DON’T want to be made into a movie? Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Two words: CGI wolves.

No, thanks.

1. Brandyn said:

Agree on no CGI wolves! I definitely had a problem casting teen males. The picture in my head was always a 24-30 year old.
    Brandyn recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday – Top Ten Books I’d like to see made into moviesMy Profile

2. Yare @Book Nook Girl said:

I agree w/ you on most of these books! Great list and TFiOs was a great read w/ a lot of emotions. I don’t know if I’d like that to be made into a movie because I feel like they wouldn’t convey the emotions right.
    Yare @Book Nook Girl recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday ( 6 )My Profile

3. Amanda @ Sisters Unedited said:

I agree with Cinder and Divergent are awesome. I have to say that Angelfall ranked on my number 1. Great list!

4. BookTasty said:

I agree with your thoughts on The Statistical
    Probability! As I read it I was thinking this could be a cute movie! :)
    BookTasty recently posted..Obsessive Behavior and Non ProtestsMy Profile

5. Alexandra said:

Oh yes for Heist Society! I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me. The heists and the places they go to around the world across the two books – and HALE of course – would make for an awesome film!

6. TeacherMotherReader said:

I like the way you chose to cast a few actors in your book/movies. I will have to check out Sloppy Firsts, either in book or movie format. ;-)
    TeacherMotherReader recently posted..Top Ten Books that Would Make Great MoviesMy Profile

7. Abigail said:

I always picture everyone in stories my age even if they aren’t. Sp its very hard to picture a cast of younger people.

Oh man, if The Fault In Our Stars was ever made into q movie I would probably cry the WHOLE time!!!

8. Fara @ Tumbling In Books said:

Hah! I knew you’d put Sloppy Firsts on top of the list before I even click this page. Awesome list! :D

Check out my Top 10? (Btw, I have you in my Top 10;))
    Fara @ Tumbling In Books recently posted..Top Ten Books I’d Like To See Made Into A MovieMy Profile

9. Michelle said:

Great post!! The Fault in Our Stars made my list as well!

I would love it if you could check out my TTT!
    Michelle recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday (4)My Profile

10. Melissa @ Writer Grrl Reads said:

Great choices! I love that you picked the actors to play the roles too! And I totally agree — TFiOS would make an awesome movie; there’s been a lack of ultimate Notebook-worth sobfests in the theatre as of late, and this movie would totally rectify that!
    Melissa @ Writer Grrl Reads recently posted..Top Ten Books I’d Like To See Made Into A MovieMy Profile

11. Holly said:

I’d love to see STAT PROBABLITY as a flick and I’m actually pumped for SHIVER as it’s such an amazing book!
    Holly recently posted..May Reading PileMy Profile

12. Bree said:

I had Cinder and Statistical Probability as well. And I have FINALLY bought Sloppy Firsts so that I can see what all the fuss is about!
    Bree recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday 1st MayMy Profile

13. Anne said:

Oh I didn’t even think of Statistical Probability! I went the more fantasy route, so that’s probably why, but that would make a great teen rom-com! I’m surprised that you think Divergent would be too big budget though – I don’t think it would be much worse than Hunger Games (which admittedly was big budget, but give us a year or two and we’ll have them a big enough following to be worth it, right? :P). I thought Cinder might be kinda big budget though, with the constant CGI to make someone a cyborg? Otherwise I might have put that one on mine, if I wasn’t worried they’d ruin it…

The CGI wolves thing is so true! It’s unfortunate, but it’s not like monkeys where they can train real ones to do it. *sigh* it’s so hard for them to get it right!

Great list!
    Anne recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Coming to the silver screen (I wish)My Profile

Posted on: Mon, April 30, 2012

YES! About Shiver! I love that book so much, but I do not think it will translate to screen well.
    Your Marcus is yummy! Most of my lists start with Jessica Darling as well. She’s just too awesome.
    Lori recently posted..Top Ten Books I’d Love to See Made Into a MovieMy Profile

15. Edward said:

I’d love to see The Fault in Our Stars as a movie! :D

My Top Ten Tuesday

16. Rachel said:

I would love to see TFIOS and heist society into a movie too! I really like your fantasty cast!
    Rachel recently posted..The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead ReviewMy Profile

Posted on: Mon, April 30, 2012

I’m pretty sure it’s more than 85.5% ;-) hahaha and I adore your cast picks for all of these.. especially Oliver! Oh wow I need to re-read that book soon.
    Ginger @ GReads! recently posted..Tune in Tuesday {79}: Random Playlists – SHADE series!My Profile

18. Gretchen @ My Life is a Notebook said:

Never, on pain of death, will I wish Shiver into being a movie because … shudders. Also, it’s okay to use a book ALL THE TIME. …I do! :P
    Gretchen @ My Life is a Notebook recently posted..Top Ten Books I’d Like To See Made Into A MovieMy Profile

19. Shannon@BooksDevoured said:

Great choices! My favorite choice of yours though is the one that you don’t want to see as a movie! CGI wolves can go so wrong so fast!!
    Shannon@BooksDevoured recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday ~ Books to MoviesMy Profile

20. Melissa @ Coffee, Books and Laundry said:

The Fault in Our Stars is a great choice.

21. Melanie @thedailyprohecy said:

Cinder would be awesome! A different version of Cinderella is always nice to have :D
    Melanie @thedailyprohecy recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday (9)My Profile

22. Magan @ Rather Be Reading said:

I, personally, get really excited when you get sidetracked by casting. I think your Marcus pick is…H O T. :)
    Magan @ Rather Be Reading recently posted..Top 10 Tuesday: Books That Should Be MoviesMy Profile

23. fakesteph said:

Love your picks. Not sure how I feel about Sloppy Firsts… I love that novel SO much and by the time it gets made and comes out, I will be even older and the actors will look SO YOUNG. But Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight–Bring it on!
    fakesteph recently posted..Top Ten (Tuesday) Books I Want Made Into MoviesMy Profile

24. Vyki @ On The Shelf said:

Cinder is also on my list. I think it really would make a fantastic movie! Here’s my TTT: http://whatsontheshelf.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/top-ten-tuesdays-14/
    Vyki @ On The Shelf recently posted..Top Ten Tuesdays (14)My Profile

25. Sash from Sash and Em said:

BOYS BOYS BOYS.

ahem.
    Sash from Sash and Em recently posted..Insurgent by: Veronica Roth – REVIEWMy Profile

26. Joie @ Joie de Lire said:

Ooh great list! Cinder and Heist Society made my list too, but I forgot to add Shiver!

Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday
    Joie @ Joie de Lire recently posted..Top Ten Tuesdays: Books I Want to See Made into a Movie!My Profile

27. Amber Elise @ Du Livre said:

LMAO! CGI wolves. CGI is soo tricky! Great list though! <3

Du Livre’s Top Ten Tuesday

Amber Elise @ Du Livre recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday [#3]My Profile

28. BarefootMedStudent said:

A LOT of these are on my TBR list… and Heist Society has now been added to that. It sounds excellent! I think it would make a superb movie.
    BarefootMedStudent recently posted..TTT: Books to MoviesMy Profile

29. jen said:

I love the Jessica faces. And the good thing about our dream cast for YA books we love? We can swoon over the actors and not feel dirty. HUZZAH!
    jen recently posted..Tune in Tuesday (3): Givers and LudoMy Profile

30. jen said:

….because they’re older. i guess i didn’t mention that.
    jen recently posted..Tune in Tuesday (3): Givers and LudoMy Profile

31. Sarah said:

Ha! I totally do not need another CGI wolves movie so no to Shiver, agreed! Though I wouldn’t mind seeing The Scorpio Races being made into a movie.
    Sarah recently posted..Month in review: April 2012My Profile

32. Jen said:

I absolutely agree on the CGI wolves. Ugh! I hated the wolves in both Twilight and in Underworld. I think they should just try to figure out some way to mostly use REAL wolves.

33. Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog said:

Those WOULD be excellent movies!
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog recently posted..Free eBook for MayMy Profile

34. elena said:

Julian Morris is such a qt. Most of the reason why I watch Pretty Little Liars, let’s be real.
    elena recently posted..(red and terrible and red) review: masque of red death by bethany griffinMy Profile

35. Hannah @ So Obsessed said:

I have no complaints about the all-male casting trend in your post. In fact, I was just wondering why you didn’t cast boys for EVERY movie on your list. I’d approve of that. And totally agree on Statistical Probability! I’m all about that book becoming a movie.
    Hannah @ So Obsessed recently posted..See You on the Silver ScreenMy Profile

36. Jennifer Golub said:

I agree that most of these would make either good TV shows or movies. I love that you picked actors for the roles.
    Jennifer Golub recently posted..Waiting on Wednesday (5/2/2012)My Profile

37. Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know said:

I’ve really got to check out some of these books. Looks like some good picks. Check my top 10 out: http://sandyfarmer.blogspot.com/2012/05/top-10-books-that-should-be-made-into.html
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know recently posted..Top 10 Books that Should be Made Into MoviesMy Profile

38. Marie said:

Ahhhh! I LOVE Stealing Heaven! One of my first favorites when I started book blogging :)

39. Julia @ That Hapa Chick said:

I’m definitely crossing my fingers for the Fault in Our Stars movie! Currently the people penning the script are the ones who wrote (500) Days of Summer and I loved that movie so I have hope it’ll turn out good! And yeah we all would sob like babies. Talk about making a fortune off selling kleenex boxes in the lobby. Haha. :)

40. Jasmine Rose said:

Heist Society would be the bomb! But they’d have to make sure it didn’t turn out cheesy, because I could see that happening really easily.
    Jasmine Rose recently posted..TGIF {25} Literary VacationsMy Profile

41. vw servis said:

Absolutely right one list. Congratulation. But my favorite ”Heist Society by Ally Carter” have low rank in this list :).
    vw servis recently posted..Skoda Octavia ServisMy Profile

42. Sara K said:

“On the Line”, i think it would be kinda like “blue crush” meets “because of winn dixie”

43. Raenor said:

Well I’m so glad to to see that almost all of these suggestions ARE in fact going to be made into a movie. I’m super excited about Divergent but I’m currently reading Cinder and am getting excited. I’d love to see Seychelle Gabriel play Cinder btw ;)