Wed, March 21, 2012

Hunger Games Book Evangelism – Spread the Book Love

We need to discuss my Hunger Games evangelism. MY EXCITEMENT IS UNQUENCHABLE!

Like, did you see this behind-the-scenes thing from Entertainment Tonight? Cannot stop watching!!!

(Katniss/Peeta hug! Liam Hemsworth’s hot accent!)

I’m basically tweeting clips nonstop and need to get a grip. My Hunger Games evangelism is at an all-time high…I just want everyone to be as excited as I feel! And I feel like using a lot of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My “evangelism” has, of course, includes convincing more people, aka my mother and sister, to FINALLY pick up the books. It cracks me up to be able to talk books with them, so I just had to share the resulting conversations…

After finishing Mockingjay, my big sister (that’s her up there) frantically called me and basically said this instead of hello:

BIG SISTER: What I want to know is why is Katniss so mean to her sister’s cat?

I chose to ignore this comment (after an eye roll at the cat lady!) and moved on to the most important question:

ME: What I want to know is if I were picked as tribute, would you volunteer on my behalf?

BIG SISTER: (Hysterical/maniacal laughter, then a long pause.) Um, sure. Of course, sister dear.

Katniss she is not, but she won back my love with her next assessment:

BIG SISTER: Gale is such a half-ass character. There’s no reason anyone should like him.

YES! I KNEW I WASN’T ADOPTED.

Unfortunately, she then launched into a large discussion about the Quarter Quell and rebel tactics and clocks and forcefields and hovercrafts and about how they should have just staged a sit-in at the Cornucopia (you hippie!) and blah blah blah I sort of stopped paying attention because I just wanted to talk about Peeta.

As for my mother, her only thoughts were:

DARLING MOTHER: I read that Catnip book! I’m so hip and with it.

Yeah, you are, Ma! COOL MOM AWARD WINNER, 2012.

Soo…are you guys keeping your YA evangelism in check? Or are you flipping out like me? And if you converted anyone to the cause, what was their reaction?

Meanwhile, I’ll be at a midnight showing tomorrow night rockin’ my Peeta shirt. I hope I don’t frighten my friends when I show up.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Posted by: Anna   •   In: hunger games, me yes me

1. Catherine said:

There were so many things about this post that I loved that I can’t actually remark on any one thing. But will instead just say that I like you. the end

2. rebecca@readingwishes said:

I’m freaking out like you!! I gave the book to my bestie and there was no words.. and all I said was “Read it, just read it!” Of course she LOVED! And now we are going together to see it on the big screen. Sadly, we have to wait til Saturday, but still we’ll being seeing it together! She doesn’t live near me, an hour away and when your a teenager and don’t drive that is far, far away, but I feel after recommending this book (and lots of other titles I just love) our friendship has grown. Now when we get together we talk about, school, boys, family, ect and of course…BOOKS and literary crushes! Having a book friends is awesome! You should totes send me the vidoes you keep tweeting about! Feel free to tweet me, I want to share the love as well — @readingwishes. LOVE the post Anna, you rock! :) May the Odds Be Ever In Your Favor. Plus, cool mother! Catnip <3
    rebecca@readingwishes recently posted..In My Mailbox #6My Profile

3. Noemy said:

Thank you Anna’s sister !! I have no idea why people like Gale so much either. I never cared for him. at all. I convinced a friend of mine to read the series too woot woot! AND the movie came out today in France OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: Wed, March 21, 2012

I AM SO EXCITED!! USING ALL CAPS DOESN’T EVEN GET MY EXCITEMENT ACROSS!!

Anyway, THG is really getting me through this. I am beyond excited. My friends called to discuss the plans for Thursday night and then I couldn’t fall asleep. Is that sad?

But I’m really weird about watching clips and such. I’ll watch the trailers but I do not want to see any scenes from the movie other than that.

Oh and I so got my Mom to read it! She won’t pick a team!! THE HORROR. I also made my hubby read them a couple of years ago. He’s team Gale. THE HORROR! It might result in divorce. ;)

I’m going to stop rambling now. Can you tell I’m excited. :)
    Lori recently posted..Top Ten Books on My Spring To Read ListMy Profile

5. Andrea @ The Busy Bibliophile said:

I am so excited!! Many exclamation points worth!!! The movie is going to be EPIC!! I finally convinced my mom to read the books (actually shoved my Kindle in her hand immediately after she said yes) and she’s on the third one now. She’s loving them and will be going with me on opening night to see the movie!! I love being able to talk with her about the books, she is not a YA fan. To recap: ME EXCITED!!!

Posted on: Wed, March 21, 2012

Hi Anna’s Big Sister & Mom!!! You ladies crack me up!

I am definitely all in your excitement for the HG premiere. I will be texting you from my theater all the way down south in TX. So BEWARE!!

Yay for the boy who bakes bread! (shocker we both agree on this one)
    Ginger @ GReads! recently posted..Something Like Normal: Interview + GIVEAWAY!My Profile

7. jen said:

ah ah ahhh catnip books. i love those catnip books.

8. Nikki said:

Keep spreading the word, Anna!
    Nikki recently posted..Book Review — Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3)My Profile

9. Lisa @Read.Breathe.Relax. said:

1. I totally love your enthusiasm and have evangelized myself!

2. I bought the same Peeta has croissants shirt in blue!

3. ONE DAY LEFT!!!

4. I love your new blog design!
    Lisa @Read.Breathe.Relax. recently posted..Book Playlist: Fever by Lauren DeStefanoMy Profile

10. nea barabea said:

I am so excited about it too!! I am going to see it on Friday at 8.30PM and I can’t wait! :) This will be so awesome! I haven’t found anyone to go with me yet, but hell, honestly I don’t care if I need to go alone :P
    nea barabea recently posted..Waiting on Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah StrohmeyerMy Profile

11. Melissa said:

This post made me laugh. I’m glad to know theres others out there as excited as I am. I don’t understand why everyone loves gale either. Although I do like liam heinsworth lol. Nice shirt btw
    Melissa recently posted..Weekly Events: Top Ten Tuesday #1My Profile

12. Reut said:

This post is amazing! Have fun at the premiere! My parents wouldn’t let me go :( School night and all…

13. Magan @ Rather Be Reading said:

Pretty sure the ET thing will be looping in the background ALL DAY. And seriously – your mom’s comment… aka: Catnip… was hysterical. I love this post!
    Magan @ Rather Be Reading recently posted..Estelle: The Difference Between You and Me by Madeleine GeorgeMy Profile

14. Sarah said:

My husband is reading them! He doesn’t read!! He’s on Team Gale – for shame. Every once in awhile I say “hey, how’s Catnip doing?” just for funnies.

Liam’s accent is AMAZEBALLS. So lovely.
    Sarah recently posted..AFR and some sweet potato totsMy Profile

15. Kelsey @ The Lost Book Reports said:

this totally made me laugh and smile!!

16. Julie S. said:

Funny post!! I’ve forced the book on pretty much everyone I know, too. I still can’t believe there are people out there who haven’t read it. Don’t they know what they’re missing!??
    Anyway, I can’t wait for Thursday night!! Are you all going to the midnight showing?
    Julie S. recently posted..Review of Dash and Lily’s Book of DaresMy Profile

17. Julie S. said:

Oh, and here is a philosophical question for you all to ponder: If you’re excited about the Hunger Games, does that mean you’re from the Capital?
    *dun dun dun*
    Julie S. recently posted..Review of Dash and Lily’s Book of DaresMy Profile

18. Shiney said:

Love this post! I just finished reading the Hunger Games last night and thought it was amazing! Team Peeta all the way! Lol!

I’ve had this book on my TBR list for a while now but as the movie is coming out in a couple of days I knew I had to read it before then and it did not disappoint! I’m so excited I’ve already dived into Catching Fire.

Love the shirt! Have fun at the midnight premiere!!! :)
    Shiney recently posted..Snapshot Tuesday Wk4My Profile

19. Dana deeee said:

I READ IT! I READ IT! I READ IT! and i’m the girl who never reads!!! yippeeeeeeeeeeeee. but for now i’m team gale. when i read the books, peeta is manly. when i look at josh hutcherson, he’s short. why did they cast someone so short? gale is tall and hunky. but he IS dating miley cyrus which takes away his credibility. does that mean you disown me forever as a bff? maybe if i actually get to the 2nd and 3rd books (they’re sitting on my coffee table), my mind will change. we shall see. xoxoxoxo annie baby

20. kATIE said:

I’m off to see this next week, and I’ve managed to persuade my best friend to come with me. She hasn’t read the books yet, but I’ve got them ready to lend them to her.
    kATIE recently posted..Death Comes to Pemberley, P.D. JamesMy Profile

21. VeganYANerds said:

Anna! I am seeing THG in just over 7 hours and I am trying to remain calm and go in with low expectations but now that I’ve read this and watched that clip it’s making me a little bit EXCITED!!!!
    VeganYANerds recently posted..The Industry by Rose FosterMy Profile

22. melannie said:

I converted my brother back in 2008 so we waited and suffered through the whole thing together, (and neither of us can see why people love stalker/bread boy so much) haha,

just recently got my mother the book (she doesn’t speak english so she had to wait) so far she’s hooked and has already made plans to come with us to see the movie ;)
    melannie recently posted..Waiting on Wednesday: WaitingMy Profile

23. nea barabea said:

Anna Anna!! Seeing you so excited – here you can make your own identity card and see in which district you’re in! It’s fun!

24. Amy said:

I’m super excited as well! I have my midnight showing tickets, and I can’t believe that after more than a year of counting down the days, I can say “Tomorrow Night I’ll see it.” SO WEIRD.
    Have you seen the behind the scenes clips on youtube called “The Hunger Games B-Roll & Behind The Scenes”??? It has so many new scenes.

AAAAHHHHH So excited.
    I also got my mother to read it. She’s almost finished. She keeps getting angry at the book and thinks it’s terrible and “why would someone write about this” but she keeps reading it….soo yeah. :)

25. suet said:

excellent post !
    “I read that catnip book” LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!

26. Jasmine Rose said:

Your post just made me so excited I think I might explode now. Thanks :P Especially since I have to wait until tomorrow evening to watch it with Husband.
    I did get my husband to read the books and he enjoyed them and now both his brother and mom want to borrow my books too :P
    I totally laughed at what your mom said. That’s so a mom thing!

27. Katie said:

Your family sounds hilarious! My mom told me about The Hunger Games (she’s a HS librarian) and then we both made my sister read it and then the three of us made my husband read it. Gotta love a family that reads together!
    Katie recently posted..BOB: Round 1 – The CarnageMy Profile

28. aimee said:

i think i love your mom. totally hip and with it, indeed.
    aimee recently posted..Hunger Games Book Evangelism – Spread the Book LoveMy Profile

29. Alyssa @ Books Take You Places said:

This is so funny! I also felt bad for the cat and seriously teared up a bit when he started protecting Katniss after Prim’s unfortunate end! Also? Gale WAS a half assed character!! I was so conflicted/annoyed by him by the end of Mockingjay! Thanks for sharing!

30. Madeleine Labitan said:

And now Catching Fire is almost here. Yay!
    Madeleine Labitan recently posted..Hey, I’m Back!!!My Profile