Mon, January 30, 2012

My First Fictional Crush – A Tribute to A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle meant so much to me as a child. Eighteen years later (whoa), I the paperback edition I stole from my sister in 1994 is still sitting on my bookshelf.

I only know this because it has her nameplate in it. Whoops. Sorry, sister.

I was 10 years old and thrilled to find a book that was smart, made me think and, yeah, introduced me to new vocabulary words. Do you think I knew what mitochondria were until Charles Wallace got stuck inside one a few books down the line? No. See, SMART BOOKS RULE!

It was my first sci-fi read, and — of course — Calvin was my first fictional crush. Like I said in the video, I was just captivated by him. He was nice and polite, smart and sensitive. DREAM BOY.

I can’t believe Madeleine L’Engle’s book is now FIFTY years old, but I’m thrilled to be a part of the “50 Years, 50 Days, 50 Blogs” tour, highlighting the book that had such a huge impact on so many people’s childhoods.

I really, really urge you to share this book with your kids and try it out yourself. A beautiful 50th anniversary hardcover edition is out now with a beautiful new cover and pretty deckled pages. Check it out…

About the 50th Anniversary edition:

The 50th Anniversary Commemorative edition features:

• Frontispiece photo*†
  • Photo scrapbook with approximately 10 photos*†
  • Manuscript pages*†
  • Letter from 1963 Caldecott winner, Ezra Jack Keats*†
  • New introduction by Katherine Paterson, US National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature †
  • New afterword by Madeleine L’Engle’s granddaughter Charlotte Voiklis including six never-before-seen photos †
  • Murry-O’Keefe family tree with new artwork †
  • Madeleine L’Engle’s Newbery acceptance speech

* Unique to this edition        † never previously published

If you don’t know why this is so significant, check out some previous versions, including my own, which is first:

Oh man, these remind me of a childhood spent (no surprise here) with my nose in a book.

Learn more about A Wrinkle in Time by checking out the complete 50-blog tour and the Wrinkle in Time Facebook page!

Posted by: Anna   •   In: madeleine l'engle, stick figure, video

1. Kimberley@sunnykimmylovinglife said:

Love! This is so cute. Seriously. I love your cartoon videos! And I like the song. I've never read A Wrinkle in Time. Hmm…

2. nea barabea said:

Wiiii 🙂 Anna this is so cute! I must admit, I haven't read much when I was little :/ My school made me read just boring books and then I kind of stopped reading books, bastards school teachers! :/
    So, my first crush was, well, Edward 😛 That's when I started reading book again 🙂 Awesome books with a hot guy in it, that's it 😛

3. Em said:

I didn't read A Wrinkle In Time until I was an adult, but I REALLY remember the cover (bottom right) from my childhood. That cover is intense!

Posted on: Mon, January 30, 2012

Got to love some stick figures in action 🙂

5. Nikki said:

Haha. Love it. My first fictional crush — Sodapop from The Outsiders.

6. A. Knight said:

Sooo cute that you were always a reader! I can just imagine mini Anna. I've been hearing about this everywhere, and unfortunately, this book was never part of my childhood. Which is odd, because my mom was and still is an obsessive reader.

I looove the new cover! So pweetty.

Are you going to give your sister back her copy? 😛

7. Heidi said:

I had the edition with the creepy glowing eyes on the front and it totally scared me (it's still at my parent's house because it was too creepy to move)! I love the new one, fitting and retro without totally freaking me out. I heart Calvin too!

8. Sash and Em said:

TEEN GIRL SQUAD!!!!!!

9. lisa [the nerd] said:

Yes forever to Calvin.

Seriously, he was a nice guy who was sincere and honest and smart and awesome. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

10. Sharyla said:

This was an amazingly fun post to read/watch! You rock!

11. Meagan Spooner said:

Um, yes. This was me. THIS WAS SO ME. And it's so true, what you say: girls who read L'Engle liked smart boys.

Super cute video!

12. Jasmine Rose said:

I sadly haven't read this yet. I know, I'm horrible. A good friend even went as far as to force it into my hands, but I never opened it so it ended up just collecting dust. Someday, I promise.

13. Ashley R said:

This video is so freakin' cute i kiiiinda want to die. I read this book when I was REALLY young, and I'm not quite sure I got it at the time. Definitely need to re-read to re-discover its brilliance (and on it's 50th anniversary, no better time!).

14. Sarah said:

I had the scary floating head one!! 🙂