Mon, September 19, 2011

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Review

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
By Jennifer E. Smith

January 2, 2012
Poppy, 256 pages
Source: Publisher

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan’s life. She’s stuck at JFK, late to her father’s second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley’s never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport’s cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he’s British, and he’s in seat 18C. Hadley’s in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver’s story will make you believe that true love finds you when you’re least expecting it.

β€” Amazon.com description

Oh Lord, I feel bad for Future Anna. Think of all the books she has to read, the work she has to do, and yet…I can already tell she is going to spend a LOT of time rereading this book in years to come. It’s a keeper, guys.

This is, without a doubt, one of the best books I’ve read all year. I read it in one sitting because I couldn’t fathom going to bed without knowing how it ended. It’s that captivating.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight has me tingling, heart-aching, giggling and swooning. It’s a stunning romance that only spans a day but somehow manages to convey the ins and outs of a lifetime of love, from the warm fuzzies of getting-to-know-you to loss to the emptiness of goodbyes.

And it’s not just about boy-girl love: It’s also an enthralling story about the complications of family. Plus, it would make an excellent movie. HELLO, HOLLYWOOD! DID YOU HEAR ME?

I realize I’m being an awful tease by sharing the full extent of my giddiness so far in advance, but I just couldn’t hold it in for a second longer. This is a book I just know I’m going to come back to for years to come. Preorder it here.

Posted by: Anna   •   In: jennifer e. smith, romance

1. Jessica Lawlor said:

AHHH! You really did love this one! I mean, I never doubted your love for it, but this is to a serious extent! This makes me all the more excited to read it. I have to finish Lola and then I will start this, and I'm sure finish it quickly. Thanks again for sending it to me! Just tell me where to mail it to next πŸ™‚

Posted on: Mon, September 19, 2011

I definitely see this one as a movie, too. Looooooved it. I felt like a tease for reviewing it so early on the blog, too.. but ya know.. when you read something THIS good, it's hard not to share!

3. Erica said:

I keep hearing this one is so good, and your review really makes me wish I had brought it with me to college, instead of leaving it home to read on my christmas break!

4. Bethany said:

I sooo want to read this! Everything I've heard it is INCREDIBLE. So glad you liked it! πŸ™‚

5. Lisa@ButteryBooks said:

I will keep an eye out for this one!

6. thelibrarianreads said:

I feel like everyone who picks this one up finishes it in a sitting! I'm not a huge fan of the 24hour plot format (even in movie/tv form) But how can I not give this a chance…Your's is the 3rd rave review I've seen!

7. Karen said:

Yaaaaay! I'm totally jealous that you have already read this and I haven't, but every positive review just makes my anticipation even greater! SO looking forward to this one.

8. Alwyn said:

AAAAAH! I WANT THIS.

That is all.

9. Casey (The Bookish Type) said:

So jealous! I am DYING to read this book — especially now that I know it lives up to its awesome synopsis! Can't wait!!

10. Becca C. said:

I'm so, so, so excited about this book!!! And knowing that you love it is a huge relief. I hate lusting after a book and then reading iffy reviews. But gahhhh can't wait <3

11. Yani {AvidReader} said:

this is one of the books I am most excited to get my hands on, based on yours and Ginger's reactions I think I will LOVE it!!!!

12. Sash and Em said:

I WANT THIS BOOK. sldfjasdkfj. so glad you loved it. πŸ™‚

13. Scarlett said:

gah! I have been extremely eager to read this book. So glad you liked it!….*sits down to wait for FOREVER!*

14. Michelle said:

YAY! I'm glad I have this book to read already. I like a good contemp romance. It has a very Before Sunrise feel to it based on the jacket copy.

15. Miss Page-Turner said:

I so can't wait to read this one, wish it was out already!

16. Ashley said:

Oooh! This one looks really interesting! Glad to hear you loved it so much! It's definitely one I've had my eye on!

17. Alyssa (Redhead Heroines) said:

I also LOVED β€œThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight”!! I think the complicated family relationships made it a really rich book instead of just another teenage romance πŸ™‚

– Alyssa of Redhead Heroines

18. TayteH said:

I just saw a play that when I was watching it, it reminded me of this book. It's called Almost, Maine. I loved it! The heart warming stories are just like this one. πŸ˜€

19. Espana said:

What I love most about this book is the seamless way Jennifer Smith weaves past to present so we understand exactly where Hadley is with her relationship with her father and everything else in her life. I also like that, even though this book is about Hadley and Oliver’s relationship, it’s even as importantly, about Hadley’s relationship with her father and her new stepmother.

Posted on: Mon, September 19, 2011

20. The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight Jennifer E. Smith Book Review said:

[…] Young Adult One More Page Pure Imagination Anna Reads GReads! Sophistikatied […]