Tue, March 22, 2011

Top 10 Bookish Pet Peeves

Top 10 Bookish Pet Peeves.

My answer?

Oh, I don’t blame you people for having pet peeves. I’m a bit of an OCD clean freak myself. As a kid, one of my favorite hobbies was rearranging things on my mother’s shelves. I get it. I’m particular too.

But with books? Nope.

Dog-earred pages? How else are you supposed to remember where the good parts* are when you need to do a quick reread?

Bent spines? You try reading a paperback while standing on the El, holding on for dear life, packed in like a sardine, without bending a spine or two. Girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do to get a few pages in before work. And try reading a book while eating lunch. Who has a hand to spare? A heavy object (my mom uses a stapler) to hold down the pages might bend the spine, but it gets the job done.

Stickers on books? Well, as a former Harpo employee, I’m certainly not going to complain about an Oprah’s Book Club sticker or two.

My philosophy is that books are meant to be loved. Perhaps that’s why I’m such a library addict and don’t own too many of my own. ‘Cause what good are books if they’re just going to sit pristinely on a shelf? A little wear and tear means the story’s been enjoyed time and time again.

Okay, now that I’ve frightened all of you away from ever lending me a book…feel free to ardently disagree in the comments.

* By “good parts” I obviously mean all kissing scenes and/or declarations of undying love.

1. Frosy said:

Haha! This is totally my nightmare! But I definitely understand this. My sister is like this even though she is 10, she told me the other day that books are meant to be loved and the shabby look of the book means that the particular book has been loved.

2. Frosy said:

Just noticed. Is that a picture of a page from the City of Bones? I know exactly which scene is! Love the book!

3. Laura said:

I was definitely going to say none, but then I realised that there are definitely bookish things that annoy me- I definitely agree with you that books are meant to be loved though! I often buy them well loved already, so there's not a lot more I can do to them tbh!

You can check out my post here if you like :)

4. Two Readers Reviews said:

Dog eared pages drive me nuts, but I love that you do it to mark the good parts! :)

5. Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said:

HAHA! I also mentioned after my list of pet peeves, that it's petty of me to think all of these things. I just can't bring myself to dog ear a page…lol.

6. Cuné said:

I love this post, and if we were in the same country, we could lend each other our dog-earred pages books :)) (I never do it on a book which is not mine, don't be afraid ! :))

7. Sarah said:

Oh! I hate split spines and I only dog ear pages in cookbooks, but I'm not even going to do that anymore. I confess, part of the reason I just bought the kindle versions of the MI series (which I own real copies of already – can you believe a friend didn't love them and gave them to me?) was so I could highlight and save the "good parts" (and the above page is totally one of those good parts) easily :D

good parts = sexytimes! haha

9. Krystal said:

What a great post! I'm not big into dogearring pages – only because I find bookmarks SO much easier. Lol.
    I guess I sit in the middle on this one. I love to buy new books in good condition, I check to make sure there are no rips, or tears, and do my best to keep them that way, but I love books that have that old feel, look and smell to them.

Posted on: Tue, March 22, 2011

I love that your image is of City of Bones (or one of those books).

11. Jen (Makeshift Bookmark) said:

eeeee….dog ears. love ya muchly, anna, but i just cannot do it. CANNOT.

12. booknympho said:

I like your post…I can't say that stickers or dog ears really bother me either but other things do.

13. Straylights said:

OH my Gosh. Dog ears? Spine splitting? *pulls hair out* I think the thing that bothers me the most is when people talk/interrupt/make me put down my book. If I have a book in my face, it means leave me ALONE. Don't be mad at me when I become crabby. Did you ever notice when you're interrupted its always right at the good part? WTH universe! Stop messing with me! :D

14. Annette said:

But..But…But…I'm a LIBRARIAN! ;) I did find this post very entertaining, though, and I applaud your philosophy….it just can't be mine….

15. Peppermint Ph.D. said:

Anna, I'm right there with you…the books I've loved the most are the ones on my shelves that look the "worst"…they have cracked spines, turned down pages and have been written in and highlighted…one from last summer even has water damage with a little sunscreen on it as well…
    On the other hand, I would NEVER do those things with a library book…EVER! :)

16. Anne said:

I agree that a well-worn book is a well-loved book, but I would argue that the well-worn look must be earned after many years of careful reading – otherwise you end up with books that are beyond fixing. I learned that the hard way. My first Harry Potter novel needs to actually be rebound, because the pages have come apart from each other and I just can't afford it. Every time I want to pick it up and read it again it just makes me want to cry! So love them, yes, but very very carefully.

17. Sara said:

None! I came up with a whole bunch of them. I always dog ear my pages though. I hate bookmarks.

18. TwilightsDance said:

Thanks for the laugh

Yara @ Once Upon a Twilight!
    Here is my Top Ten Tues
    And check out my eReader Blogoversary Giveaway Ends 3/30

19. Jenn said:

So basically, your copy of Pride and Prejudice has a series of dog-eared pages where Darcy is delivering swoon-worthy lines? :)

20. as always ♥ Carol said:

i can never find my bookmarks even though i have a ton, so i resort to either dog earring them or placing what ever type of paper i find with in reach. One pet peeve i do have is when ever some one writes on the book its really distracting for me and its bugs me but apart from that i don't think i have any other book related pet peeves lol
    as always ♥, Carol

21. Wicked Stepmother said:

I'm pretty much in agreement with you about well "loved" books. I have always said that books are meant to be shared, which is one reason why when I lend a book out I usually tell the lendee that they can keep it and re-lend it when they are done. I have a few books that I don't lend because I love them and I read them over and over again. Okay…I just thought of a pet peeve, and it's one that I am guilty of, because as you stated it's challenging to eat and read at the same time. But sometimes you just gotta get a few pages of your delicious novel in during your lunch break…it really irks me when pages are stuck together because someone got overly sloppy eating and reading. It kinda grosses me out!

22. Lindsi said:

*shudders* I can't… I couldn't… it's too horrible for words. I have books that I read over and over again, and they look like they did when I bought them. And you don't need to bend the corner of a page to remember where you are… that's what bookmarks are for! I have a ton if you would like me to mail you a few :)

23. Trish said:

Heh, great answer!

24. maridee1 said:

OMG! Why have I never thought of using dog-eared pages as a marker for "the good parts", genius!