Thu, October 28, 2010

The Evolution of YA

Photobucket

A BRIEF AND VERY SCIENTIFIC AND ACCURATE ACCOUNT OF THE EVOLUTION OF YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE IN MY LIFE BY ME, WHO WOULD GET A PHD IN YA IF THEY GAVE ONE, SPECIFICALLY IF THERE WAS ONE THAT DID NOT ACTUALLY REQUIRE ANY CLASSWORK, BUT MAYBE JUST A DISSERTATION ON WHY ALL BOOKS SHOULD INVOLVE BOYS AND KISSING

At first, everyone was reading about humans. Maybe some people were reading about witches or Anne Rice vampires, but I didn’t know those people and that seemed VERY taboo. To me, anyway.

Photobucket

So I’m going around, reading books, thinking the most exciting thing a character can do is realize she’s secretly Princess of Genovia and fall love with Michael Moskovitz (which is still pretty damn exciting, let’s be honest), when suddenly someone in the U.K. thinks to herself, “Boy doesn’t know he’s a wizard, goes to wizard school.”

Photobucket

Enter Harry Potter. The heavens open! Light comes shining down! Wingardium leviosa! I attend a midnight release wearing a temporary lightning bolt tattoo on my forehead.

But there is so much time before the next book is released that I shrug and return to reading about humans.

Photobucket

OR SO I THINK. I quickly realize that seemingly regular humans can have magical powers too. For example, the power to FIT IN THE SAME PAIR OF PANTS AS HER THREE BEST FRIENDS! That has to be magic, right?

Photobucket

BUT THEN: It seems like people everywhere simultaneously realize that there’s something even better than humans who are magical: humans who are DEAD. It starts out slow, with ghosts. Imagine the possibilities. Specifically, imagine Jesse from the Mediator series. Mmmm.

Then I hear that there are some dead humans who are hotter than Jesse? Not possible, I say!

Ohhh. I see now.

Photobucket

VAMPIRES! Insanity ensues. TV, movies, books…they’re everywhere. Children get into the craze, so the phrase “vamped-out” is invented by adults. Though I secretly love Edward Cullen with a burning passion, I begin to tell people “I’m so over vampires.”

Photobucket

“What about the werewolves?” everyone says. No. Gross. Jacob Black. No. I don’t buy it. But then…what’s this? Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater? Sam? YES! I have seen the werewolf light! Ahhhooooo! Full moons every night!

But beyond Sam, they are still hairy. Eww.

Photobucket

So we turn back to where we started: humans. Except now I find the women I am from here on out hailing as AUTHOR GODS. I continue to worship at the Church of Meg Cabot, but pause to pay tribute to other gods, Megan McCafferty and Sarah Dessen. I vow to purchase every single book they write ever.

But, after awhile, these human boys seem too NICE.

Photobucket

Everyone must agree, because suddenly it’s all about fairies. Fairies aren’t nice. They are sneaky and will trick you into doing bad, bad things, but at least they usually do so in a very entertaining manner. Lesley Livingston and Melissa Marr and Aprilynne Pike can attest to this.

Photobucket

But the fairies are actually TOO naughty. So back to good guys? NO! Even BETTER than good guys…ANGELS.

Photobucket

No…even better than angels…FALLEN ANGELS. Good boys + bad boys in one. There’s Fallen and Hush, Hush and it’s all so good it could NEVER GET BETTER…

Photobucket

A blogger advises me to read Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready and I am like “Wha? Back to ghosts? MY EMOTIONS ARE TORN!” But then I realize hers were really very HUMAN ghosts so maybe I am just fooling myself.

Photobucket

So back to humans. Because now I’ve discovered Jellicoe Road and Before I Fall and so many more.

And because sometimes it’s just nice to read about real(ish) people. The end.

Well, for now. Because I haven’t even gotten to MERMAIDS yet, people! Watch out.

You’ve been warned.

Posted by: Anna   •   In: me yes me

1. Melanie said:

I am so in love with this post. Thank you for making my morning happier.

I am feeling sick and crappy and this made me laugh my ass off…well…I laughed on the inside. If I laughed on the outside my throat would burn and my sore muscles would hurt. But on the inside, I am cackling, I swear.

Also, I definitely still prefer the humans. But I'm with you on the boy wizard and the Sam werewolf exception. And also sometimes the ghosts.

I can still generally pass over the vampires, angels, faeries, zombies, and merfolk. They don't really do it for me, I'm afraid.

2. Amy said:

This is a pretty awesome post! I love love love it 🙂 Especially the pictures. There really are phases aren't there? I've only just returned to regular human ya novels after years of avoiding them and only reading the vamps, wolves, ghosts, etc. It's wonderful. Though, I notice you have no WITCHES!

3. Annette said:

This is GREAT! Thanks so much for the entertainment!

4. Ginger said:

Oh this was total awesomeness! Seriously. I giggled a few times out loud.
    "And then I start blogging because I need to talk to someone about these fairies and vampires and angels…OH MY!" – best line EVER!

P.S. I read one book about mermaids – not that exciting. Kinda seemed weird, in fact. And not hot at all.

Posted on: Thu, October 28, 2010

I'm seriously laughing out loud at work right now, getting weird looks from my co-workers. This is HILARIUOS!! And what a fine artist you are 🙂 Thanks for a great start to the day!

6. S said:

hahaha great post.. and so very very true!!

7. Katie Edwards said:

Brilliant post. Thank you.

8. Library Gal said:

loved the post-especially the pics:)

9. Melissa said:

Hahaha love the pictures and the post! So true! 🙂

10. Jen (Makeshift Bookmark) said:

Holy guacamole, Anna! I refuse to believe YOU are human, but rather a magical comedienne extraordinaire. Have you been eating your funny Wheaties? This is by far the best post I've seen in I don't know.. thank your parents for me. For having you so that you could grow up to write this here post. I heart it. And you!

11. Jamie said:

This is AWESOME! I love youuu! The drawings are precious!

12. Betty: Reflections with Coffee said:

adorable, clever, witty!

13. danya said:

LOL this post is so totally awesome (as well as a rather accurate portrayal of YA trends!) Love your drawings 😀

14. April (BooksandWine) said:

Not gonna lie, the drawings really make the post.

this is tres excellent. Nice job, Anna!

15. Small Review said:

Oh my gosh I love this post! Your illustrations are hilarious.

16. UniquelyBeautiful said:

Hands down awesome post. So true. I have fallen for almost all those books I did start with Harry Potter. I am 24 now and I am still in love with YA fiction. I think i will aways read them because I am still young at heart. and its a nice escape. ok now I am rambling but one more time awesome post…

17. nea.barabea said:

I love it anna 🙂

18. Joie @ Joie de Lire said:

Best. Post. Ever!! Absolutely hilarious (and cute) and quite true!